Modelling the E&N in HO Scale in my basement

August 7-8, 2012

Since the weather is rather warm in Calgary, decided to head downstairs to the basement and cool off, admire the work done thus far, dream a little bit, and just generally cool down.

While I was sitting there at the location soon to be occupied by the team track of Courtenay and Vancouver Island Gas, I looked at the standards holding up those far-from-level brackets and realized a rather important fact:

The standards are not necessarily plumb.

There are some curves in the standards, either from a rather zealous drive from the drill securing the screws, the taping and mudding on the wall not leaving a rather flat wall, or likely, a combination of both.  So with the curve in the standard, the shelving brackets, especially the long 19″ ones, are pointing up.  Thankfully I discovered this before much work was done and the fix for this is reasonably easy to implement.  We’ll pull the brackets, pull the screws and shim the standards so they are straight and secure.  That should fix the levelness of the brackets.

I also realized that if I’m going to get the windows finished, I should do so fairly soon, lest the work become a hell of a lot more difficult owing to the fact that the layout in front of the window at Port Alberni will be very deep… Cam agreed on this fact and told me to get the drywall prepped (ie: flush to the window frame) and on Saturday afternoon, we’ll acquire the casing and boards and get the windows finished.  So, over that evenings and Wednesday, I’ve been getting reacquainted with the drywall saw, utility knife, rasp and most importantly, vacuum cleaner and getting that task taken care of on both windows.  I’ll probably need to replace the vapour barrier on both of them owing to the fact that it doesn’t take well to long-term exposure to UV and my punctures with the saw.

Cheers!

One Response

  1. Always seems to amaze me- mind, if ALL I did was the OO model, then the rate of change would be a bit better.

    The 4″ Steam Traction Engine has had it’s tubes squeezed, so they don’t leak, and the Lego club is visiting here tomorrow, so a massive clean up was in order and done. (as well as a temporary layout on tables, sometimes a truely modular system can be a lot of fast fun)

    Still…I wish I could progress a bit faster with the OO at times.

    James

    August 10, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Leave a Reply to James Powell Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *